S’mores….you know that you love them. Even with a belly full of campfire food, they are simply too yummy to resist!! So, why not take your love for the gooey, summertime treat and up the ante with a drool-worthy event.
In the Outdoor Living post (here), we showed you all sort of fun and cozy ways to bring the indoors and create an inspired outdoor living space. Let’s take it a step further, and create a themed event! This type of gathering, full of whimsy, is the perfect setting for a Amy Slusher Photography styled Senior Photo Experience!
Whether it’s a “Senior Experience” photo opportunity with Amy Slusher, a summer birthday party or just a bunch of friends getting together, it’s quite easy to set the set the scene, gather around the fire, have fun together….
Let’s start with setting the scene….
Decorating the table:
This is my favorite part! I love creating fun and inspired vignettes using new finds, craft supplies and collected treasures.
- For this project, I went to Dakota Art Store and procured about 20 feet of black banner paper, which was more than enough paper. This provided the perfect foundation for the s’mores table. As a table clothe, it added an additional layer of color and texture, plus we could get creative and personalize it. Dakota Art Store has banner paper in a variety of colors, so you can utilize this concept for a variety of themes and events!
- Instead of a chalkboard for signs, we used simple frames and the black banner paper to make custom pictures/signs for a whimsical effect. My friend, and local artist, Aja Foster, was my ‘graphic designer’ for this event! The pictures and signs don’t by any means need to be professional. Enlist a budding grade-school artist to do the honors. They are often times the most inspired of all!
- Get creative with containers and platters. Here, we used large canning jars to hold the s’mores fixin’s, which also came in handy for storing and keeping things fresh. Terracotta pots or an eclectic set of bowls are also perfect for your s’mores table.
- For additional texture, we used the antique pale from Ormolulu. The twirly willow branches and pale provided height and dimension to the table.
- Silver faux bois candle holders, wood turned mushrooms, etc. were added to complete the look.
- Usual suspects, including graham crackers, Hershey’s chocolate bars and marshmallows.
- Mix it up with chocolate graham crackers, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Rolos, caramels and your favorite candy bar.
- Give homemade marshmallows in different flavors a try. Libby, of MiaCupcake, provided some homemade marshmallows in Cold Brew Coffee and Vanilla flavors. The caramelization that happened when roasted was amazing!!
Don’t forget the Fire!
If you have a fire-pit, then all you need are the logs and fire. No fire-pit, no problem. You can create your own flames using a diy sterno pot (learn how to make it here).
Create a fun photo-op area with a fun back drop or a crafted photo booth, like the plank and lumber one below. Click here for more backdrop ideas.
Now it’s time to get your s’mores on and have some fun creating memories….sparklers and all!!
Thanks to the following:
Amy Slusher Photos:
Allsop’s Home and Garden:
Ormolulu, Debi Burton and Jim Blondeau: